Wednesday, 3 September 2014

I understand I am in the demographic that is most likely to vote no on the 18th. That is to say, I am a woman and I'm over 60. And believe me, I understand why anyone might vote no at this referendum.   People of my age have watched things launched in a blaze of hope  go horribly wrong - like marriages and businesses for example. Like holidays that were meant to be fabulous and fun and turned out rainy with  rude people and other people's cigarette stubs in the sand.   Because of these things, my intention to vote Yes keeps wavering back to Don't Know - and even sometimes flirting with No.  A lot of my friends and neighbours and members of my extended family are on the No side, and this makes me nervous. Is their judgement better than mine? Will business really flee from Scotland? Will we lose the pound and be turfed out of the EU forever?

In calmer moments I don't think any of these things will happen. There might be a bit of uncertainty for a while, but I feel confident it will settle down and Scotland will flourish. It won't be Nirvana, but it will be fine. It will be a country - with all the complexity that that implies.  And of course I believe that Scotland can't possibly be the only country in the world that would be disadvantaged by independence - won't find a way to operate on its own. And naturally I am always infuriated by the "Too wee, too poor, too stupid" arguments. And "too lazy" is one I have heard, which totally incensed me! (I mean obviously there are lazy people in Scotland, but surely not more so than in England, or anywhere else!?) And if it were true, then it would be time we were cut loose and made to sail our own ship. This kind of thing from No voters was one of the first reasons I thought of voting Yes. Not very rational - but it was a starting point.

I also felt annoyed when I was told that independence will make us inward looking - and this by someone who has just expressed resentment that we'll have to pay for our own diplomats! Having control over our foreign policy, rather than have illegal wars waged in our name is certainly a temptation.

But the main reason I am most drawn to vote Yes is that  all four of our grown up children are intending to vote Yes, and I trust their judgement and want them to have the future they are going to choose.   They are intelligent educated  people who have given the subject a great deal of thought. They want to contribute to the success of Scotland.  They believe it will be good for them and others if Scotland is independent - that it will bring more opportunities, not fewer. Their intention to vote Yes, is not so much about nationalism, as a belief in the advantages of living in a smaller more democratic country.  They believe that it will bring a surge of creative energy to the country and that, importantly, it will give us all more democracy. The problem of the democracy deficit and the political apathy that has dogged the country for years has been banished by this referendum.  It is exciting to think of people taking such an interest in politics again.

As it's the future we are talking about here I think Grannies like me should support our young people in their hopes and dreams (and the majority of Scottish young people do want an independent Scotland).   The future is unknown by definition, but in the end I think communities and economies are built on hopes and dreams - that's surely what enterprise is all about.  A strong economy is built by people with ideas and energy, and hope.  Our young people will slowly and surely build the country they want - a country that is prosperous, fair and peaceful. A country that is creative and energetic. It may take a while - it won't be easy - and it will never be perfect. But they want to give it a go and they believe it will be possible. To show my belief in that vision and trust in the young people to choose their own future, I intend to vote yes on the 18th of September.

No comments:

Post a Comment